Categories: Headlines

Second heart transplant abandoned

consultants tug-o-war in kandy hospital:

The second heart transplant planned at the Kandy General Hospital was abandoned at the last minute yesterday due to a tug-o-war between consultants not to remove the beneficiary’s heart. This situation has arisen even after the heart was harvested from the donor and fixed to a machine pending the transplant.

The consultant surgeons who were prepared to perform the surgery were inconvenienced after the anastheticians declined to take up the responsibility in the event of removing the receiver’s heart. This situation arose even after the heart was harvested from the donor and attached to a machine.

The donor’s heart was removed from a youth who was declared brain dead.As the doctors gave up the procedure the donor heart which was fixed to a machine stopped beating

A body of a youth who was declared brain dead, had been brought from the Intensive Care Unit of Polonnaruwa General Hospital under the close supervision of a group of consultants on Tuesday night for the heart transplant. This youth who sustained serious injuries following an accident was later declared brain dead by the doctors and his relatives agreed to donate his organs to suitable beneficiaries.

The relatives of the beneficiary said that their patients were not given food and she was fully prepared for the surgery during the past few days.They said that three anaestheticians have not given consent to perform the surgery at the last minute. Consultant anaesthetician of the hospital Jagathi Perera said that he was not aware of this surgery “I was told by the Hospital Director over the phone to apprise all anaestheticians about this surgery.Then only I came to know that a heart transplant is to be carried out in the hospital again,” she said.

The life of the beneficiary whose heart function dropped to 10 per cent is in danger due to this situation. However the doctors at the hospital succeeded in transplanting kidneys, and a spleen to three patients.

AddThis Website Tools
Lankanewspapers

Recent Posts

LNP – China to impose 34% retaliatory tariff on all goods imported from US

LNP – China to impose 34% retaliatory tariff on all goods imported from US

China on Friday announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against U.S. goods as…

11 hours ago
LNP – Passenger arrested with mobile phones worth over Rs. 100 mln at BIA

LNP – Passenger arrested with mobile phones worth over Rs. 100 mln at BIA

A 32-year-old individual from Kattankudy in Batticaloa was arrested this morning (04) by the officers…

13 hours ago
LNP – Apparel sector in jeopardy as US slaps new reciprocal tariff

LNP – Apparel sector in jeopardy as US slaps new reciprocal tariff

Sri Lanka’s apparel sector, the country’s largest export industry, is bracing for a major setback…

14 hours ago

LNP – Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in SL today

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to arrive in Sri Lanka tonight for a…

18 hours ago

LNP – CAA issues gazette setting maximum retail prices for bottled water

The Consumer Affairs Authority (CAA) issued a special gazette notification enforcing maximum retail prices for…

18 hours ago

LNP – USA Tariff slap – Significant risk to SL economy

The United States yesterday announced and introduced a significant shift in its trade policy by…

18 hours ago